FAQ 16 May ‘23 •
Update 4 Sep ‘23
we’re so back
Although most of the common reoccurring issues should be addressed here, if you’ve come across a new problem or it’s something else, you can leave a message somewhere here, in order of best preference:
- Ask across the road at 614, for one of the staff who maintains the DDR machine there (for anonymity reasons, this is the best description I can provide); they can pass the message to me. The crew at 505 are primarily CityHeroes staff, and they can only cater to basic stuff like issuing cards, credits, or replacement swipes.
- Ask a Sydney regular who plays ITG, DDR, IIDX, or visits Purikura often for SDVX. Most chances they’ll know me if you mention any of silphur8, silphy, guy who maintains ITG at Koko, etc.
#other-games, AUS DDR Events. I also keep an updates log in
#general → Cabinet Updates
#other-rhythm-games, Sound Voltex AUS
#other-rhythm-games, maimai AUS. I’m not in this, but there will be people in there who’ll know me if you mention ITG
Reminder: You can DM someone on Discord without needing to add them as a friend, unless they explicitly filter non-friended DMs out (I don’t).
To keep my friend list accurate, I don’t add people unless I actually know them in person, which may require cross-checking, especially given the nature of online handles. Thanks for your understanding!
- If there’s pad issues, contact me as per above
p1 is too sensitive
If you’re coming from DDR, the short of it is to “unlearn” stepping as wide and as hard.
Solution: Play on the right side (P2) instead. I’ve designated P1 to be the “high-difficulty” side and P2 to be the “regular” side.
If the online events and the cab’s song libraries hint at anything, it’s that ITG can get very demanding, so optimal form is a non-negotiable. We have a high-level (25s, 26s) player who claims P1 ↑ requires so much effort to trigger that he had to stop after one credit to prevent injury.
The truth is, I’ve received complaints from various players, on both sides, covering the entire spectrum of (in)sensitivity after modding them back and forth.
In advocating improvement, which I think is the whole point of this game anyway, I won’t be tweaking P1 to be any less sensitive than it is, unless a panel’s full stuck.
But if you want to pass harder stuff, most of us recommend getting used to P1 as a start. You’ll probably find it hard to accept that way off/decents are inevitable and it’s tempting to switch them off, but just keep them on.
>it’s always form issue
screen is weird/at desktop/not in the actual game
Solution: Restart by unplugging the power cable and putting it back in. Staff rarely checks the back rhythm game section for problems, so if you happen to find it acting strange, it’s faster for you to solve the issue yourself.
The game will remember your credits across exiting/power cycles, so you don’t have to worry about losing them. If they are lost for whatever reason, you can ask one of the front staff to get them to reimburse the lost credits.
If you’ve found a way to replicate crashing the game, let me know. Example: one time there was apparently a pack (which nobody really plays) that Stepmania didn’t like, so I just moved it out.
If you notice the cab in some weird state for whatever strange reason (say, a command line terminal, or there’s open windows in the operating system) I’d also appreciate a picture
because who doesn’t like meme material.
I’ve tried to do a thing (
systemd process) where the game will automatically restart if it crashes, but the catch is when that happens there’s no audio. Plug pulling is the easiest and most hassle-free answer as of now, albeit not elegant.
swiper doesn’t look right
There’s been a sighting of the swipers stuck on a white screen[image, 3.8 MB] that once affected maimai and ITG, and restarting didn’t seem to do the trick.
Unfortunately, although a given, the swiper’s not under my control.
Solution: Wait a few minutes, if the cabinet’s just booted up. I’ve encountered the swiper just on a blank screen instead of having its usual startup messages, and then after about 3 minutes it worked.
Otherwise, try doing a power cycle for good measure in the event the swiper choked starting up. If that still doesn’t solve the problem, it’s probably a crediting system issue, in which case report it to someone across the road at 614. Remember – 505 staff are CityHeroes people!
Features & Requests
I’d like a music pack on the cab
No worries, I can sort that out. I usually put on most of the packs from “the spreadsheet”.
Solution: If it’s on the spreadsheet, mentioning the name should suffice. Otherwise, shoot me a link or something.
So long as it’s actually for the pad, and appropriately rated, it should be fine. If it’s obvious that it’s a keyboard chart, or there’s unresolvable low-quality stuff, there isn’t much incentive to put it on as nobody’s going to enjoy it.
However, if it’s your content and you just want it on for pad testing, that’s cool as well. It’ll likely go in the AUS Junk folder for miscellaneous stuff unless you’ve made an entire pack (whoa okay, mad respect). Us regulars here are always happy to playtest and review!
can I participate in ecs/srpg/itl
Yes, you can:
- ITL: you must select FA+ mode since I’m still figuring out how to put the DDR timing option on the newest theme. Then, take a photo so that you can enter your score onto the website later.
- SRPG: don’t forget, you can still use the QR code feature.
- ECS: send me your downloaded ZIP profile from the website, and I can put it on. Because ECS requires switching themes and enabling profile select, I have to be there. Let me know when you want to do your set, and I can come out.
fsrs and leds when
The issue with LEDs is that apparently they depend on the original lights working. P1 ←’s connection looks busted, and P2 ↑’s input strobes when connected to the LIT board.
FSRs aren’t high on my priority list. If you want to crowdfund an FSRio and its sensors, I’m totally down, but then I’d have to consider how to interface the sensitivity controls – which means drilling panels for touch screens, getting them set up with Linux, then developing and testing. At the very least, I’d need a fair bit of help.
usb profiles and custom songs
Actually, the PC’s set up for it and ready to go, but
- I’d need to drill a hole in the cab, and that’s a very low priority thing for Koko
- Random people can plug in input devices (keyboard, mouse, rubber ducky) and mess around with the system
how do I stream from the cab
You can do the following yourself:
- The HDMI cable from the PC connects to the TV on the left hand side. Keep in mind which port it was connected to. Connect the cable into your capture card, and provide passthrough back into the TV using the same port.
- You’ll have to record audio using an external microphone.
- A camera can be mounted on top of the TV; be careful though, that screen is pretty thin.
If I’m around (which means, you’ll have access to the PC):
- Provide a 3.5mm audio splitter cable to allow direct audio capture.
- I’ve written an API backend currently on the PC that can return score data for whatever you’ve played. You will need to provide your own WiFi dongle to connect to the PC, because your main one will be connected to your hotspot for the internet.
umm who are you, anyways
In the early 2010s, there was a DDR SuperNOVA2 cab next to the cinemas at Timezone (today, it’s a Koko). After X, it was converted to ITG, and when the PC started to die out I was responsible for organising and setting up the new one. Our crew used to come out frequently to keep the pads working in top condition, and I organised a few competitions back in the day.
Timezone changed to iPlay, and in their final days, that cab was moved to Broadway Happydays (now iPlay), then subsequently went missing for several months. We thought with that was the end of an era for ITG here in Sydney, but thankfully we found it again at an iPlay all the way out in Edmonson Park. Nobody really goes there unless you happen to live near the area, so the pad’s been in a pretty bad condition. The last time I went there was to update the machine with ECS 10.5, but it’s unlikely I’ll ever have the opportunity to mod them given I personally know nobody at that venue.
Wanting to keep ITG in the city alive, I took an opportunity to purchase a DDR 5th Mix cabinet from a private owner who wanted it gone ASAP. As I had no space at all in my lift-less apartment, I decided to keep the cab at Koko and make it the next quality public ITG with the intention to sell it to them – which meant I had to get it in an “arcade ready” condition.
Update: As of 22/8/23, the cabinet is now theirs. We’ve made an agreement that I can continue to work on the pads as I’ve all this time.
What that means depends on how lenient you are. If you’re willing to overlook the lights not functioning properly (the Edmonson Park cab wasn’t either), the internal amp busted, or the PC occasionally rocking up some cursed states, the cab’s practically working the same as the old one.
By the way, I’ve never worked for any arcade (as floor staff or dedicated technician), and it’s not my intention to. You could call me a “freelance” volunteer who only wants to vibrate on good pads and help enable others to as well. If you insist, you can shout me some fud instead idk 🥣🍻
what’s the cab running on
- Ubuntu 20.04
- Stepmania 5.1 (built from source using commit
- Simply Love 5.0.1 that I’ve modified (
m3, dubbed The Pilgrimage after the Edmonson Park thing, see above)
- J-PAC and LIT Board (not in use)
- Intel i5-4690 6MB 4.10 GHz
- NVIDIA RTX 2060 (yep)
- SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB SATA III SSD (for WIP/current tournament packs)
- Seagate 2TB SATA III HDD (for most songs where the pack has been finalised)
- 16GB DDR3-1333
- Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
- Retrofitted Hisense 43" A7G @ 4K60
what about the other one at edmonson park
- Betson SN2
- Intel NUC, i5-7260U 4MB 3.40 GHz
- Intel 760p 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
- Patriot 4GB DDR4-2133
- Retrofitted Panasonic 40" TH-40FS500A @ 1080p60
[ 7 Aug]
- P2 → was sticking when played on, but it should be much better now. Previously, the up and left sensors were connected; now, the only connected sensor is the inner one with a newly made, more sensitive flipper. This should mean more consistent results.
- P1 untouched, but I think it should be okay for harder stuff.
- P1 → was found to be super insensitive, and it seems like someone took out the inner sensor’s flipper and tore the other ones. Pretty BM if you ask me, but sure... I’ve put the misplaced flipper back and took some tape out from it to compensate for oversensitivity.
- Repositioned a corner padding that fell off from P2 ↑.
- Due to the repositioning of P2 ↑’s fallen off corner padding, the panel will be more prone to sticking. I’ve tried my best to balance the screws so that it shouldn’t happen (but is still sensitive enough). Just something to be aware of.
- DDR A20+ and DDR A3 refreshed to include the Breaking the Future CSP update
- ITG Level Asian
- Shut Up and Take My Money, Benpai
- Summer Vibes Vol. 2
- Omid’s THC (June update)
- Zaia’s Dance Dance Rebuild
- Draw the Savage CSP’s chart has been added (it’s in the DDR A20+ folder btw)
- Toby Fox songs (all difficulties of course, which includes Challenge) and KAC 11th songs have been added
packs to upload
[23 Jan]5.1 converts of OG mod charts
[31 Jan]Shpadoinkle’s new tech pack series, whenever it shows up on the sheet
[31 Jan]Reinstate missing songs from
Dingoshi Ramen 2
[16 May]Haven’t checked The Spreadsheet recently